Newfoundland & Labrador

VOAR-AM (Religious), St. John's

, Seventh Day Adventist Church

1929
Harold Williams, a pastor with the Seventh Day Adventist Church opened 8BSL with 10 watts of power. The "BSL" in the call sign stands for Bible Study League. The studio was on Freshwater Road.

1930
On November 14, 8BSL became 8RA. The "RA" in the new call sign stands for Radio Association operating on 950 kHz with 25 watts.

1931
The call letters changed again, this time to VONA (for Voice Of Newfoundland Adventists).

1932
VONA was sold to Oscar Hierlihy. The Seventh Day Adventists set up a new station on Cookstown Road.

1933
The call letters changed to VOAC (Voice Of the Adventist Church), now operating on 1065 kHz with 40 watts power.

1938
The station made its final call letter change, to VOAR. The new calls stand for Voice Of Adventist Radio. VOAR operated with 100 watts on 1230 kHz.


1941
Under the Havana Treaty VOAR was to operate on 950 kHz (Class IV) with power of 25 watts as of March 29. The station remained on 1230 kHz.

1949
Newfoundland joined Confederation as a province of Canada. Despite being owned by a religious organization and having a religious format, VOAR was allowed to remain on the air – with the “V” call sign.

The CBC board turned down VOAR's request for a power increase.

1957
VOAR 1230 had a power of 100 watts and was an independent non-commercial station with no network affiliation. It was owned by Newfoundland Mission of Seventh Day Adventists which was owned by the Eastern Canadian Union Conference Corporation of Seventh Day Adventists.

1960's
VOAR's studios moved to 106 Freshwater Road.

1976
At this time, VOAR was on the air weekdays from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 5 p.m. to 11 p.m. weekdays, 10:30 a.m. to 11 p.m. on Saturdays, and 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. on Sundays. VOAR had four part-time and one full-time announcers.

Despite a power of only 100 watts, VOAR could be DXed from the other side of the Atlantic Ocean. In January, Broadcaster Magazine recounted a story about how VOAR was picked up by a fisherman out drinking in his boat off Capetown, South Africa, and after hearing a sermonette on the station, "he was so moved by it that he tossed his drink and bottles overboard and went home to get reacquainted with his wife and family."

1989
VOAR received permission to continue its temporary use of one of VOCM 590's transmitter towers, which it had been sharing since its own tower was downed in a January, 1985 storm. However, if the use was to be permanent, VOAR was to apply for an installation that conformed with Department of Communications standards by the end of the year.

1991
VOAR received approval to increase power from 100 watts to 10,000 watts, to change frequency from 1230 kHz to 1210 kHz and to change the transmitter site. Since January of 1985, when its tower was destroyed in an ice storm, VOAR had been sharing the transmitter site of good neighbour 590 VOCM.

On November 11, VOAR made the technical moves approved earlier this year. Two towers were used at its new transmitter site.

VOAR started construction of new studios at 1041 Topsail Road. This was the location of the new head office of the Seventh Day Adventist Church, VOAR's owner.

2002
On February 2, Seventh-Day Adventist Church in Newfoundland and Labrador was given approval to add FM transmitters at Bay Roberts, Botwood, Corner Brook, Deer Lake, Gander, Goose Bay, Grand Falls, Lewisporte, Marystown, Port aux Basques, Springdale and Wabush to rebroadcast the programming of
VOAR St. John’s.

2008
On October 8 the CRTC renewed VOAR's licence until August 31, 2015. The renewal included the following rebroadcast transmitters: VOAR-1-FM Bay Roberts, VOAR-2-FM Marystown, VOAR-3-FM Lewisporte, VOAR-4-FM Gander, VOAR-5-FM Deer Lake, VOAR-6-FM Botwood, VOAR-7-FM Springdale, VOAR-8-FM Grand Falls, VOAR-9-FM Corner Brook, VOAR-10-FM Port aux Basques, VOAR-11-FM Goose Bay and VOAR-12-FM Wabush.

                                            Written by Bill Dulmage – Updated June, 2010