Newfoundland & Labrador

CKFE-FM (campus), St. John's

, Memorial University of Newfoundland Radio Society

1951
CHMR started as a HI-FI club and over time, evolved into a closed-circuit operation feeding campus cafeterias and society rooms.

1974
On October 4, CHMR was awarded a carrier current licence to broadcast in the Paton College residence. The station would braodcast on 860 kHz with a power of 20 watts.

1977
CHMR was granted a special licence to broadcast during the Canada Summer Games.

1986
On August 7, Memorial University of Newfoundland Radio Society was granted a licence to operate a student FM station at St. John's on 93.5 MHz with an effective radiated power of 50 watts (replacing the carrier current station).

1987
CHMR-FM signed on the air in October.

2000
CHMR moved its offices and studios to the 2nd floor of the south annex of the newly built University Center.

                                           Written by Bill Dulmage - Updated February, 2010