Andre Lecomte, who for many years was associated with CJBR (he was manager), was granted a licence for a new station at Rimouski. It would broadcast with a power of 10,000 watts day and night on a frequency of 1000 kHz. Competing applications were denied. They were by Roch Demers (representing Telemedia interests) for Rimouski and Amqui; and La Voix Laurentienne Ltee for Rimouski and Mont-Joli; and Benoit Santerre for Mont-Joli. The CRTC deferred action on any further licences for the region including Mont-Joli, Amqui and Cuaapscal.
La Compagnie de Radiodiffusion Rimouski Limitée (The Rimouski Broadcasting Co. Ltd.) opened CFLP on May 21. The station had a four-tower array for its night-time directional pattern.
CFLP was an affiliate of the Telemedia network.
Prades Inc. (Claude Pratte 50% and Paul Desmarais 50%) purchased 51% of La Compagnie de Radiodiffusion Rimouski Limitée (CFLP) from the estate of André Lecomte. Prades Inc. already owned the other 49%.
On January 29, the CRTC approved the applications for authority to transfer effective control of Baie des Chaleurs Television Inc., The Rimouski Broadcasting Company Limited and Shawinigan Falls Broadcasting Company Limited through the transfer of 1,000 common voting shares of Prades Inc. (100%) from Paul G. Desmarais (500) and Claude Pratte (500) to Power Corporation of Canada, which was indirectly controlled by Mr. Desmarais. As a result of this transaction, Power Corporation would acquire 100% control of Prades Inc. which held effective control of Baie des Chaleurs Television Inc., licensee of CHAU-TV Carleton and its rebroadcasting stations; The Rimouski Broadcasting Company Limited, licensee of CFLP Rimouski and the new FM station authorized by the CRTC, and The Shawinigan Falls Broadcasting Company Limited, licensee of CKSM Shawinigan.
CFLP launched sister FM station CIKI 98.7 on February 14.
La Compagnie de Radiodiffusion Rimouski Limitée became of subsidiary of the newly formed Power Broadcasting Inc. (no change in ownership)
Pierre Harvey, based in Rimouski, was named regional manager for Power Broadcasting. Martin Brassard was promoted to news director for CFLP / CIKI-FM.
Mario Founier became director of marketing for CFLP / CIKI, assisted by Joel Villeneuve.
Bertrand Bellavance was named vice president and general manager of CFLP and CIKI-FM.
CFLP’s application to move to the FM band was denied.
Power Corporation sold Power Broadcasting Inc. to Corus Entertainment Inc. La Compagnie de Radiodiffusion Rimouski Limitée was a division of Power.
On April 28, CFLP was given approval to convert to the FM band, operating on 102.9 MHz with an effective radiated power of 33,600 watts. The new station would offer an adult contemporary light rock format (for adults 25 to 54), and maintain CFLP's local and regional orientation.
CFLP 1000 was replaced on October 22 by CJOI-FM 102.9.
CFLP-AM left the air forever on December 31.
On January 21, the CRTC approved an exchange of assets between Corus Entertainment Inc. and Astral Media Radio Inc. Corus acquired from Astral: CKAC Montréal, CHRC Québec, CJRC Gatineau, CKRS Saguenay, CHLN Trois-Rivières, CHLT and CKTS Sherbrooke, and CFOM-FM Lévis. Astral acquired from Corus: CFVM-FM Amqui, CJDM-FM Drummondville, CJOI-FM and CIKI-FM Rimouski, and CFZZ-FM Saint-Jean-Iberville.
On July 6 the CRTC renewed CJOI-FM's licence until August 31, 2014. Conditions: The licensee shall make a basic annual contribution to Canadian content development. The licensee shall allocate 60% of this basic annual CCD contribution to the Foundation Assisting Canadian Talent on Recordings or MUSICACTION. The licensee shall refrain from soliciting advertising in markets that fall outside its primary coverage area. The Commission notes the licensee's commitment to devote 5 hours and 8 minutes, including 16 minutes on weekends, to local news. The licensee shall also devote 1 hour and 57 minutes to local weather, sports, culture and entertainment. The Commission notes the licensee's commitment to broadcast not less than 63 hours of local programming in each broadcast week.
On February 23, the CRTC approved the application to amend the licence for CJOI-FM in order to delete the condition of licence relating to the provision of annual reports on the diversity of musical selections.
In August, Astral Media rebranded its "Rock Detente" stations as "Rouge FM," with little change in the Adult Contemporary sound.
On June 27, 2013, after a previous such application had been denied in 2012, the CRTC approved an application by Astral Media Inc. to sell its pay and specialty television channels, conventional television stations and radio stations to BCE Inc., including CJOI-FM.
Bill Dulmage - Updated July 2013