Ontario, City of Toronto

CJBC-AM, Toronto

, CBC

1933
The Canadian Radio Broadcasting Commission (CRBC) was formed on May 26.

The CRBC began leasing Canadian National Carbon Company's CKNC on September 15.

1935
CKNC was to leave the air after the federal election October 14. Hector Charlesworth, chairman of the CRBC stated CKNC would be useless as far as the commission was concerned (after the election). The 100 watter was taken over by the commission on lease and carried most of the network's programs, originally carried by the commission's CRCT.

CKNC left the air on October 31 at 11:30 p.m.

1936
On November 2, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) was formed to take over the operations of the Canadian Radio Broadcasting Commission.

On December 5, the CBC restarted the old CKNC to boost the signal of their Toronto station, CRCT. The call letters for the reborn station were CRCY. The station signed on the air this date at 5:30 p.m. CRCY operated on 1420 kHz with 100 watts of power. The antenna consisted of one steel pipe, 75 feet above a three story building and another steel pipe, 98 feet above a two story building. Spacing between the two towers was 133 feet.

1937
On October 15, CRCY moved from 1420 kHz to 960 kHz.

CRCT became CBL on December 24.

1938
From March 15 to May 5, CRCY was to carry Fibber Magee & Molly on Tuesday evenings because CBL was airing other programming. CBC commercial director E. A. Weir said CRCY would not be going commercial and that the carriage of this commercial program was only temporary.

On November 1, CRCY changed call letters to CBY. CBY duplicated the programs of CBL. CBY's frequency was 960 kHz and power was now 1,000 watts.

Elwood Glover joined the CBC Toronto announce staff. He had been with CHAB in Moose Jaw but also did some special events work for the CBC - on loan from CHAB.

1939
On February 26, CBY moved from 960 kHz back to 1420 kHz and power reverted to 100 watts.

Central studios and offices to house the scattered quarters now occupied by the CBC in Toronto and Montreal were to be built this year at a cost of $800,000 each. The new facilities would include a number of small studios, one large auditorium studio, offices for the entire staffs in each city, for the commercial departments, and in Montreal, also for the engineering department.

The CBC purchased a corner property in Toronto as the site of its projected new Broadcasting House to be constructed at a cost of about $800,000. The building would be of modern design and house studios for CBY and CBL, as well as for all network shows which originate in Toronto for the national sustaining and commercial networks.

Some CBC personnel changes took place: new Winnipeg representative was H.G. Walker, manager of CBL and CBY, Toronto, while Dick Claringbull, CBC Ontario regional representative, would add management of these two stations to his duties. Walter C. Anderson, manager of CBO Ottawa, would be night manager of the stations, and Charles Wright, senior CBC producer at Winnipeg, would be manager of CBO. William J. O'Reilly joined the CBC Toronto announce staff from CKCH in Hull. Reid Forsee was an announcer. Herbert Walker was senior announcer and studio supervisor. Stephen Dale joined the announce staff from CHML Hamilton.


1940

Harold Symes and Cecil Hyndman were engineers at CBC Toronto. John Hart was in the commercial department.

The CBC's main program, commercial, station relations, press and information offices for all of Canada moved May 24 to Prudential House on York Street. This new location consolidated the old 1 Hayter Street and 241 Church Street operations. There would be no studios at the new address. The war halted construction of a broadcasting centre for which land had been purchased last summer.

Jack Radford, manager of CBL and CBY and Ontario regional representative for the CBC, was named supervisor of station relations, succeeding Horace N. Stovin, who left for the radio representative business. Radford's appointment was effective November 15. Before coming to Toronto, he was CBC regional representative for B.C. and manager of CBR. Prior to that, he managed the former CBC station at Windsor. D. Claringbull from Winnipeg will replace Radford in Toronto, having held a similar position as regional CBC rep for the Prairie Provinces. Jack Kannawin, Winnipeg, superintendent of western programs, became the new CBC regional rep for the prairies.

CBY was given permission to move its transmitter site to Lambton Mills, using two 250 foot towers, spaced 230 feet apart. Power would increase from 100 watts to 1,000 watts. The increase in power was reportedly to assure of better alternative sustaining program service for coverage of th Toronto area when CBL is carrying commercial programs.


1941

On March 29, CBY moved from 1420 kHz to 1010 kHz (power would later increase from 100 to 1,000 watts), from a new 30 acre transmitter site located along Highway 5, one mile southwest of Sommerville Corners, near Dixie. Two 250 foot vertical radiators, spaced one quarter wavelength apart were used to form a directional signal. Under the Havana Treaty, CBY had been expected to move from 1420 to 1450 kHz (Class IV) with power of 100 watts. The treaty was adjusted to have CBY operating on 1010 kHz with 1,000 watts and a directional antenna. The station used the Northern Electric transmitter that the CBC operated a few years earlier as CRCW/CBW Windsor.

Robert Henry Combs, 65, the pioneer broadcaster who started CKNC (now CBY) in 1924, died. Born in St. Louis, MO, Combs came to Canada in 1917 as general manager of Prest-O-Lite Storage Battery Co., and was GM in the Dominion of the Canadian National Carbon Co. built CKNC which he actively operated for many years.

On July 1, CBY began operation of its new 1kw Northern Electric transmitter. In charge of the transmitter was Arthur W. Holmes, engineer with the CBC Overseas Unit, since December of 1939. He was assisted by J. A. Spalding and H. S. Tyson, who had been ferrying planes to Britain. In the erection of the station building, the ancient art of well-witching was used. While H. M. O'Neill, engineer in charge of construction was sceptical, he allowed a well-witcher armed with a forked apple wood twig to locate water. The well was dug exactly on the spot where the well-witcher had instructed and had stated that water would be found at 80 feet. At 90 feet, there was an overflowing well, which now came up into the basement of the transmitter house.

To meet growing demands for network time during the evenings, largely due to the war, the CBC set up a second network for commercial sponsorship. The network's first sponsor (on an experimental basis) was the Gillette Safety Razor Co. The Mutual Broadcasting System originated boxing events for 26 Canadian stations through the CBC, plus the MBS affiliate - CKLW Windsor. The second network had 23 Canadian stations with alternative stations in Montreal to meet local conditions there. The new network would operate only after 6:00 p.m. Eastern Time. Over the past year, private stations had been anxious to have such a network - outside of CBC control. However, under the Radio Act, the CBC had full control over all networks in the country. It was felt that a full second network with full day and night programming was not feasible or economically possible at this time. CBC-owned stations affiliated with the new network: CBK Watrous, CBA Sackville and CBY Toronto. Privately-owned stations affiliated with the new network were: CJOR Vancouver, CHWK Chilliwack, CFCN Calgary, CFRN Edmonton, CJRM Regina, CJGX Yorkton, CJRC Winnipeg, CKCA Kenora, CJIC Sault Ste Marie, CKOC Hamilton, CKTB St. Catherines, CFPL London, CFCO Chatham, CKLW Windsor, CKCR Kitchener, CKCO Ottawa, CFCF or CHLP Montreal, CHLT Sherbrooke, CKNB Campbellton, and CJLS Yarmouth.

1942
CBY 1010 was operating with a new 1,000 watt transmitter (day and night) from a new site located near Dixie, four mile west of Toronto's city limits. The modern antenna array was directed on Greater Toronto and Hamilton. CBY was on the air 16 hours a day with many of the best CBC network programs and local programs of special community interest. CBY was an affiliate of NBC's The Blue Network.

H.G. Walker left CBY and CBL as manager to become acting regional representative in Winnipeg. D. Claringbull, Ontario regional representative, would take over management of CBY and CBL in addition to his present duties. Walter C. Anderson, station manager of CBO Ottawa, became night manager of the two stations.

Clary Settell did sports reports over CBY.

On September 16, Gladstone Murray, general manager of the CBC announced that the networks would sign off at 11:30 p.m. local time in all regions as of September 27. The reduction was designed to reduce wear on equipment. Murray said that such a reduction would lengthen the life of a large amount of the equipment, some of which could not be replaced. Some of the vacuum tubes used at the 50,000 watt outlets were water cooled and cost as much as $3,000. The half hour reduction would not apply on all nights to CBA Sackville. It would continue to operate for the extra 30 minutes on some nights.

1943
Spence Caldwell joined CJBC as manager. He had been commercial manager at CKWX Vancouver. CJBC was the key station of the CBC Dominion Network.

On November 15, at 7:45 a.m., CBY became CJBC. The new call letters had no relationship to the fromer CJBC in Toronto, which was operated by Jarvis Street Baptist Church. 


1944
On January 1, the CBC formed a second English network, The Dominion, with CJBC as the flagship. CBL anchored The Trans-Canada Network. The new network was formed because the private affiliates wanted a network of their own so they could sell time to national advertisers.

CJBC began testing with 5,000 watts power on July 17, and officially increased to that power on September 1. The increase in power would be the equivalent of 10,000 watts due to the concentration of the directional array.

Announcer Harold Stubbs left CJBC to do free-lance work. Announcer Gordon Cook joined CBC Toronto from CKCK in Regina. CJBC's publicity director was now Mac Reynolds who returned to Canada after service with the Merchant Marine.

Dick Gluns was CJBC's chief producer. Diana Stevens was secretary to CJBC manager Spence Caldwell. Patsy Murphy left CJBC as a scriptwriter to join Young & Rubicam.

CJBC aired the best programs from the Blue, NBC, BBC and originated the majority of programs for the CBC Dominion Network. 

Wib Perry was hired away from CFRB by CJBC's Spence Caldwell. He would MC CJBC's breakfast program, It's About Time.

1945
CBC Dominion Basic Stations: CJFX, CHNS, CFCY, CKCW, CKNB, CJLS, CKCO, CHOV, CFBR, CJBC, CHEX, CFPL, CFCO, CFPA, CHLT, CFCF, CKRC, CJGX, CKX, CKRM, CHAB, CFQC, CKBI, CFCN, CFRN, CJRL, CHWK, CJOR, CJVI.

Arthur Holmes returned to work at CJBC's transmitter after a period with the CBC's overseas unit. Spence Caldwell (manager) left CJBC to work for All Canada Radio Facilities.

On February 12 the CBC Toronto offices moved from 55 York Street to newer and larger premises at 354 Jarvis Street. The new facility would house the national program office, commercial division, station relations, traffic and the press and information service. The studios of CBL and CJBC would remain for now at 805 Davenport Road.

It was announced that the Blue Network had asked for a severance of its association with CJBC and had offered its facilities to CKEY.

Aubrey Wyce left CJBC as a script writer for CKEY's continuity department. Dick Gluns, CJBC's senior producer, left for the army. John M. Kannawin was appointed CJBC's program director. He had been head of the CBC's overseas unit. D. Claringbull was manager and E.A. Weir was commercial manager.

CJBC and CBL were now operating from 354 Jarvis Street. Master control and recording studios were switched to the premises but the studios in the old Davenport Road location were still being used for live programs. All business was now transacted from 354 Jarvis.

Former CBC Toronto producer Clifton Stewart left for Rai Purdy Productions. Stewart had produced such programs as "Reminiscing", "Dominion Concert Hour", and "Songs of the Volga".

Dominion network manager H.G. Walker took over as program director of CJBC. He was responsible to Charles Jennings, supervisor of CBC programs. CJBC program director John M. Kannawin was named supervisor of presentation, in charge of all program operations at the CBC Toronto studios. Announcing and production staffs of CJBC and CBL were to be merged.

Elwood Glover was an announcer at CBC Toronto.

The CBC changed program management and policies so Wib Perry left for the U.S.

1946
Joe Duff, just out of the "Army Show" and formerly in charge of recordings at CBC Toronto, moved on to CKCO in Ottawa. Former CJBC and CBL announcer Gordon Keeble became the new radio director at F.H. Hayhurst Co. Ltd.

Before the Special Committee on Radio Broadcasting, CFRB's Harry Sedgwick compared the programming of his station with that of CJBC, the station that would take over CFRB's 860 kHz frequency. He used the week of June 30 to July 6 for his comparison. In religious broadcasts, CFRB offered 3 hours and 25 minutes, 2 church services, organ music, choir singing, hymns, daily "Victorious Living". This compared to CJBC's one program of religious music. Sustaining public service broadcasts on 'RB (not including spot announcements) amounted to 5 hours, Columbia symphony orchestra, outdoor programs, Report from Parliament Hill, etc. CJBC offered 2 hours and 15 minutes, including Operation Crossroads and High School News. When it came to sustaining news and news commentaries, CFRB had six hours and CJBC, four hours and 48 minutes. U.S. network commercials accounted for 11 hours and 45 minutes on CFRB and 9 hours and 30 minutes for CJBC. Canadian ads used 31 hours and 20 minutes on 'RB and 30 minutes on 'BC. CJBC used 34 hours of American sustaining programs to fill its schedules while CFRB used 27 hours and 40 minutes. CFRB used 47 hours and 50 minutes of recorded programs against CJBC's 46 hours and 5 minutes. CFRB was on the air 127 hours and 5 minutes of the week and CJBC was on 117 hours and 36 minutes. When it came to ratings (Elliott Haynes for June, 1946), Harry Sedgwick said CFRB had 19.9% of all radio sets tuned in in the Toronto area for the 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. time period. CJBC had 7.7%. In the evenings, he said 27.9% were tuned to CFRB while CJBC rated 7.3%. A test of signal strength conducted by RCA on June 26, at ten scattered points in the city, showed the strength of CJBC was over 2 1/2 times that of CFRB. Sedgwick said CJBC's lack of audience in the Toronto area was not due to any lack of signal, but could only be due to their program policies.

Gordon Keeble left CJBC where he had been chief announcer. He joined the staff of F.H. Hayhurst Co. Ltd. Keeble had been working at CBC Toronto since 1942.

1947
The Toronto studios and network headquarters were consolidated at a new address – 354 Jarvis Street.

Bob Kesten was CJBC's manager.

CJBC was expanding into the commercial field, handling national spot business as well - with the assumption it would continue as key station for the Dominion network. It seemed CJBC planned to walk in on CFRB's market before taking over that station's 860 kHz, expected in June.

Bob Keston accepted a six month contract to manage CJBC. CJBC signed Tony The Troubadour to handle a program Monday thru Friday at 12:15 p.m.

A 50,000 watt transmitter was ordered for CJBC. The new equipment would be set up at Hornby. Once ready, CJBC would take over CFRB's 860 kHz frequency and 'RB would move to CJBC's 1010 frequency.

1948
CFRB requested an extension to August 31, 1948, the licence for its 860 kHz operation. The switch for CFRB to 50 kW on 1010 kHz and CJBC to 860 kHz with 50 kW had been set for July 1. A new switch date now had to be set.

CFRB and CJBC officially went to 50,000 watts and switched dial positions on September 1. CJBC went from 1010 to 860 and CFRB moved from 860 to 1010. Opening ceremonies were held for CJBC on September 1 and for CFRB on the 2nd. CBC dignitaries were at Hornby and CFRB staffers were at Clarkson the following day. CFRB reps attended the CJBC function and CBC officials were on hand for the CFRB festivities. CJBC now reached 828,210 homes or more than five times its former range. It now took in about one quarter of all the radio homes in Canada.

CJBC was now operating from the CBL tower at Hornby. Both stations shared a single 647 foot tower and operated with a non-directional pattern. The site was on Lots 13 and 14, Concession 8, Trafalgar Township, about 17 miles southwest of Toronto.

Bruce Smith hosted Toast and Jamboree on CJBC. Bob Keston's term and CJBC manager came to an end when 1948 drew to a close.

1949
Dave Price did sports at CJBC. Byng Whitteker hosted Small Types Club. Maurice Boddington hosted Bod's Scrapbook. Bob McGall was now manager.

1952
June Dennis hosted "Word To The Wise" on CJBC.

1953
Harry Boyle was named director of programs for CBC Ontario - radio and television. He had been program director of the Trans-Canada network for eight years.

Bob McGall was appointed director of CBC Radio in Toronto - in charge of CBL and CJBC. In the past, he had been manager of CJBC.

1954
Hurricane Hazel hit the Toronto area between October 15 and 17. Both CBC radio and television in the city fed each others services to give first rate coverage. In the early going, CBL was unable to carry as much local content as CJBC due to network commitments. Over time, CBL was able to offer the same amount of storm coverage as other area stations.

1955
H.G. Walker was appointed CBC assistant director for Ontario by the province's director, Ira Dilworth.

1958
Before CBLT opened in 1952, the CBC seemed able to get by with its converted girls' school at 354 Jarvis Street and two or three concert studios as its Toronto home. Since television came along, two studio buildings were constructed on Jarvis Street and up to 17 buildings had been rented across the city. As of now, there were 13 buildings used at 11 different locations. There was still hope for a single establishment in Toronto but it would be some years yet according to press reports.

H.G. Walker was named director for Ontario and for English networks, succeeding Ira Dilworth who became director of program evaluation. Alan Maitland was manager of CJBC and CBL. Freelancer Bert Devitt was on CJBC. Ed Fitkin was a sportscaster. Bill McNeill was an MC. Walter Bowles was a newscaster on CJBC.

According to Elliott-Haynes CJBC reached a total of 367,934 adult listeners every day.

Ad slogans: In Southwestern Ontario Radio Station CJBC Toronto gives you impact in Canada's No. 1 market with these popular personalities: Bruce Smith (Toast & Jamboree), Elwood Glover (At Ease), Austin Willis (Of All Things), Byng Whitteker and June Dennis (Audio). / In Canada's No. 1 market - get these leading radio personalities to deliver your sales message - Elwood Glover with "At Ease"; "Toast & Jamboree" with Bruce Smith; June Dennis & Bying Whitteker on "Audio". Radio Station CJBC - a CBC station.

1960
Ads: Best buy in Canada's No. 1 market - Southern Ontario - CJBC - Top shows with top personalities! CBC Radio. / Best Buy - In Canada's No. 1 Market - Southern Ontario - CJBC. / You're not seeing double! You're not hearing double! But you're selling double! With power packed CBL and CJBC! Now you can buy, at a combined rate, spots on both CBL and CJBC and reach double the audience (only 15% duplication) at a much lower cost. It's the perfect, economical way to sell double at a single rate in Metropolitan Toronto!

A.K. Morrow, director of the CBC's English networks and the Toronto area, announced the appointment of Don MacDonald as public relations officer for the Toronto area, as of November 1.

1962
On April 23, CJBC began providing a half-hour of news and commentary in French from Montreal, weeknights at 10:00 p.m. On Saturdays and Sundays a ten minute newscast in French aired at 10:00 p.m.

On July 16, the half-hour weeknight French service was increased to one hour with the addition of a nightly half-hour of variety programs from the French network.

The Dominion and Trans-Canada networks consolidated into one network on October 1. On this date, CJBC began airing two hours of French programming each weeknight, beginning at 9:00 p.m. (now French weeknights 9-11 and weekends from 10:00 to 10:30 p.m.)
 
1964
French programming on CJBC expanded on January 1, to 7:00 p.m.to 11:30 p.m. weekdays and 7:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m. sign-off on weekends.

On October 1 at 6:00 a.m., CJBC went French full-time. Five and a half hours per week were locally produced programs with the remainder coming from Radio-Canada in Montreal.

1968
CJBC had a new print ad campaign to promote its programming. It was based on Flower Power, "radio en fleurs".

1973
CJBC gained a sister television station with the launch of CBLFT channel 25.

1975
On October 9, CJBC received approval for rebroadcast transmitters at Kingston (99.5 MHz with effective radiated power of 3,000 watts) and Belleville (95.5 MHz with ERP of 25,000 watts).

1977
On April 3, CJBC opened high-powered FM rebroadcasters in Belleville (CJBC-1-FM 95.5 MHz) and Kingston (CJBC-2-FM 99.5 MHz).

A rebroadcast transmitter (CJBC-3-FM) was added at Penetanguishine on December 1.

1978
CBON-FM (98.1 MHz) signed on the air July 21 from Sudbury. It receives some programming from CJBC but holds its own licence.

CJBC opened its London (CJBC-4-FM 99.3 MHz) rebroadcaster on December 10. 

1980
CJBC-5-FM (106.3 MHz) Peterborough went on the air October 1.

1986
CJBC-FM signed on the air providing Radio-Canada’s FM stereo service to Toronto.

1987
CJBC-3-FM Penetanguishene was given permission to air community access programming. This would enable the station to broadcast local programming produced by Radio-Huronie FM Communautaire Inc. and others. 

1990
When CJBC had its licence renewed, it operated the following transmitters: CJBC-1-FM Belleville, CJBC-2-FM Kingston, CJBC-3-FM Penetanguishene, CJBC-4-FM London and CJBC-5-FM Peterborough. The CBC proposed to originate 41 hours and 23 minutes of locally-produced programming weekly, with the remainder of the schedule consisting of Radio-Canada’s AM Radio Network programming. In addition to local newscasts, CJBC produces newscasts for the CBC's French-language radio network in Ontario, comprised of CJBC, CBEF Windsor, CBON-FM Sudbury and CBOF Ottawa. CJBC also contributes to "Ontario 30", a public affairs program produced in Ottawa and broadcast on the Ontario network.

On November 13, an application by the CBC was denied. It proposed to have CJBC-1-FM Belleville decrease effective radiated power from 25,000 watts to 19,600 watts and change the frequency from 95.5 MHz to 94.3 MHz. 

1991
CJBC-CBL erected a new tower at the Hornby site to replace the original one.

1992
CJBC-2-FM Kingston was authorized on January 31 to decrease effective radiated power from 3,000 watts to 1,563 watts. The CBC has stated that the decrease in power, together with an increase in antenna height, would result in no significant change to the coverage area of the Kingston transmitter, and would improve the efficiency of the transmission system.

On October 30, CJBC-1-FM Belleville was authorized to change frequency from 95.5 MHz to 94.3 MHz and decrease effective radiated power from 25,000 watts to 18,200 watts. No loss of service is foreseen because areas to the east and west of Belleville affected by the reduction in the coverage area are served by CJBC-5-FM Peterborough and CJBC-2-FM Kingston.

1993
CJBC and all of Toronto's CBC operations moved to the new Canadian Broadcasting Centre at 250 Front Street West.

1997
The Radio-Canada network was renamed "Première Chaîne" on September 1.

1998
On May 26, CJBC was granted a transitional digital radio undertakings. The transmitter would be installed on the CN Tower and employ the EUREKA-147 digital audio broadcasting system. CJBC would operate on 1461.536 MHz with effective isotropic radiated power of 5084 watts.

1999
CJBC-DR-2 opened on November 1.

2001
As of this year, CJBC operated the following rebroadcast transmitters: CJBC-1-FM Belleville, CJBC-2-FM Kingston, CJBC-3-FM Penetanguishene, CJBC-4-FM London, CJBC-5-FM Peterborough. CJBC broadcasts approximately 27.5 hours of local programming each week from Toronto.

2006
On May 9, CJBC was given approval to add a rebroadcast transmitter at Windsor,operating at 103.9 MHz with an average effective radiated power of 1,450 watts.The Windsor transmitter was first authorized April 30, 2002, but the technical
parameters were not acceptable to Industry Canada and the transmitter was not implemented at that time.

2009
On May 12 the CRTC renewed CJBC's licence. The renewal included the following transmitters: CJBC-DR-1 Toronto, CJBC-1-FM Belleville, CJBC-2-FM Kingston, CJBC-3-FM Penetanguishene, CJBC-4-FM London and CJBC-5-FM Peterborough.

2010
On August 9, the CRTC administratively renewed the licence of CJBC-DR-1, CJBC (and its transmitters) to August 31, 2011.

2011
In 2010, the CBC had the licenses for its Montreal digital radio transmitters revoked. On January 21, 2011, the CRTC revoked the licenses for the rest of the CBC's digital radio transmitters across the country - at the Corporation's request. The revocations included CBLA-DR-1, CBL-DR-1, CJBC-DR-1 and CJBC-DR-2 Toronto. There had been a total lack of interest in digital radio by all parties involved.

On August 25, the CRTC administratively renewed the licence for CJBC and its transmitters to March 1, 2013.

2013
On February 22, the CRTC administratively renewed the licences for CJBC Toronto and its transmitters to August 31, 2013.

On May 28, the CRTC renewed the licence of CJBC Toronto and its transmitters CJBC-1-FM Belleville, CJBC-2-FM Kingston, CJBC-3-FM Penetanguishene, CJBC-4-FM London, and CJBC-5-FM Peterborough for a five year term to August 31, 2018.

Bill Dulmage - Updated June 2013