Ontario, Western Ontario

CKGL-AM (570 NEWS), Kitchener-Waterloo

, Rogers Broadcasting Ltd.

1924
CKCR Brantford was one of just 46 private commercial radio stations licensed in Canada. Like many stations of that era, it was a technology without an industry; owner John Patterson struggled to pry advertising dollars from local businesses.

Everything changed the day Arthur Sandrock came to visit. Sandrock: a well-connected Kitchener-Waterloo businessman, called on Patterson seeking airtime for his Church - St. Matthews of Kitchener. During their chat, Patterson confided his disappointment with ad revenues. When Sandrock asked what it might take to move the station to Kitchener, Patterson replied: five thousand dollars and studio space.

Once home, Sandrock went to work. Waterloo MP (and Minister of National Revenue) W.D. Euler promised to smooth the way with the federal government. Sandrock then secured five thousand dollars in advertising commitment from Kitchener-Waterloo businesses. While strolling along King Street in Waterloo, Sandrock noticed some unoccupied office space above Weichel's Hardware store. He promptly buttonholed the owner, W.G. Weichel, who was less-than-excited about donating the space. Undeterred, Sandrock won Weichel over with visions of free publicity for the hardware store.  With all the pieces in place, Sandrock had little difficulty selling Patterson on the move.

1928
CKCR Brantford had operated on 1120 kHz with a power of 25 watts, but moved this year to 1010 kHz with power of 50 watts.

1929
On July 22, CKCR signed on from it's third floor rooms above Weichel's Hardware, transmitting from the roof. The frequency remained 1010 kHz with power of 50 watts. Euler conveyed the good wishes of Prime Minister King. Weichel, who was both the local MPP and station landlord, spoke briefly. Professor C.F. Thiele led the Waterloo M.S. Band in rousing renditions of Whirl of the Waltz and Wee MacGregor Patrol. Patterson himself led the broadcast, crowing: "there's nothing like a radio station for promoting the best interests of a city".

The station manager was Clyde Mitchell, a former semi-pro goalie, who'd sold radio time before joining Patterson as a partner in Brantford. Coming aboard was a third partner, Gilbert 'Gib' Liddle. A veteran of Vimy, and wounded at Passchendaele, Liddle worked eight years in the clothing business before turning to radio.

The Kitchener Record, perhaps a little optimistic about the reach of a 50 watt station, reported on CKCR's introduction to "radio fans of Canada and the United States".

In theory, Mitchell was to manage station operations while Liddle managed sales. In fact, both served as programmers, technicians, salesmen and air staff.

1931
By this time, CKCR's broadcasts gravitated to the station's alternate address, in Kitchener's Walper Hotel.

The frequency shifted to 645 kHz with 50 watts.

Jim Hunter joined CKCR from Hamilton's CHML. He left for CFRB in Toronto a short time later.

1932
Alan Savage broke in to radio at CKCR as an announcer-operator.

1933
Power was boosted to 100 watts.

Alan Savage left for CKTB in St. Catharines.

1934
The frequency shifted again, this time to 1510 kHz with 100 watts.

Patterson sold his interest to Mitchell and Liddle.

As Liddle sold airtime, Mitchell travelled regularly to Toronto, returning with transcription records of popular national and international shows. CKCR's programming blended local choirs, pianists, cowboy bands and church groups with international favourites, including Jungle Jim, the Rhythm Rascals, Vera Lynn, and Fibber McGee and Molly.

Despite the stifling effects of the Great Depression, and despite the fact that one in six Kitchener citizens were on relief, CKCR grew. By the mid 30's, air staff had expanded to include "Doc" Lindsay, Ted Hartman, and future CBC legend Byng Whitteker.

C. O. Pickrem started in radio at CKCR.

1936
On September 18th , Mitchell and Liddle moved the studios to the third floor of the Waterloo Trust building, 24 King Street South (Waterloo), a block east of the Walper Hotel, formerly the quarters of the local Moose Lodge. At the same time, CKCR dropped its midday signoff, broadcasting daily from 9am til 11pm.

1937
Arnold Stinson joined CKCR as an announcer.  Bob Reinhart started his broadcasting career at CKCR.

1939
Announcer Phil Clayton left CKCR for Hamilton's CKOC.

1940
Program director Lloyd Monk left CKCR for CKGB Timmins.

1941
Under the Havana Treaty CKCR moved from 1510 to 1490 kHz (Class IV) on March 29. Power was 100 watts.

Jack Russell left CKCR to join the announcing staff at CKGB Timmins.

To meet growing demands for network time during the evenings, largely due to the war, the CBC set up a second network for commercial sponsorship. The network's first sponsor (on an experimental basis) was the Gillette Safety Razor Co. The Mutual Broadcasting System originated boxing events for 26 Canadian stations through the CBC, plus the MBS affiliate - CKLW Windsor. The second network had 23 Canadian stations with alternative stations in Montreal to meet local conditions there. The new network would operate only after 6:00 p.m. Eastern Time. Over the past year, private stations had been anxious to have such a network - outside of CBC control. However, under the Radio Act, the CBC had full control over all networks in the country. It was felt that a full second network with full day and night programming was not feasible or economically possible at this time. CBC-owned stations affiliated with the new network: CBK Watrous, CBA Sackville and CBY Toronto. Privately-owned stations affiliated with the new network were: CJOR Vancouver, CHWK Chilliwack, CFCN Calgary, CFRN Edmonton, CJRM Regina, CJGX Yorkton, CJRC Winnipeg, CKCA Kenora, CJIC Sault Ste Marie, CKOC Hamilton, CKTB St. Catherines, CFPL London, CFCO Chatham, CKLW Windsor, CKCR Kitchener, CKCO Ottawa, CFCF or CHLP Montreal, CHLT Sherbrooke, CKNB Campbellton, and CJLS Yarmouth.

1943
CKCR offered its facilities to 12 different church organizations at this time. St. Matthews Lutheran Church had just marked 13 years on the station.

Advertising slogan of the time: Covering the heart of Western Ontario.

1944
Jean Millard (Whiteside) was CKCR's women's editor. She hosted "Neighbourly News" and "Sunshine Hour" on the station.

For the smooth running of CKCR, owners Gib Liddle and Mitch Mitchell had two very different roles. Gib was the outside man, looking after the advertisers, while Mitch was the inside man, presiding over the CKCR staff.

1945
CBC Dominion Supplementary Stations: CKCV, CKTB, CHML, CKLW, CKPC, CKCR, CKNX, CJCS, CFOS.

CKCR was airing programs such as "Sunset Valley" (amateur talent) and "Farm Folk".

Gord Garrison joined CKCR from Brandon's CKX.

Clyde Mitchell and Gib Liddle announced in the fall that CKCR would soon be moving in to new and spacious quarters in the Arcade Building on King Street. The new facility opened on November 9 and featured three modern studios. RCA-Victor equipment was used throughout the the operation.

1946
CKCR moved its studios and offices again, this time two blocks west, to the third floor of the Arcade Building at 125 King Street West. The new facility included a choral studio.

Power increased to 250 watts, transmitting from a nondirectional, 165 foot tower at R. R. #3 Kitchener.

CKCR broadcast from 7:30 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. six days a week; 8:45 a.m. til 11:00 p.m. Sundays. The station was a CBC Dominion affiliate.

Slogan: In The Hub Of Western Ontario.


An ad promoted the fact CKCR had for three years, carried a weekly 45 minute broadcast of the senior assembly of the K-W Collegiate & Vocational School; The "Sunshine Program" for the Freeport San Patients was now in its seventh year; "The Farm Folks Program" was nearly as old as the station and pulled in the greatest amount of mail; and two Kitchener churches (St. Matthew's Lutheran and Benton Street Baptist) just completed 16 years of sonsecutive Sunday broadcasting of their services.

1947
Bev Harrington left CKCR for an announcing job at CFOR Orillia.


1948
An application was approved that would see the transfer of CKCR from W.C. Liddle & G. Mitchell to Kitchener-Waterloo Broadcasting Co. There would be no change in ownership.

1949
CKCR-FM was launched, and simulcast AM’s programming.

Slogan: Kitchener-Waterloo's First stations - CKCR 1490 KCS / CKCR-FM 96.7 MEG. - Making Coverage Count.

Ed Manning was program director.

1951
Slogans: More and more people are spending more and more hours listening to CKCR. Why? Programming planned for the people. / The people of Kitchener-Waterloo and district listen to CKCR. Why? They like our programming. It makes them feel there is no station like the Home Station.


Clyde "Mitch" Mitchell passed away in late September. He had suffered a slight heart attack at the CCBA convention a few days earlier and died at his home.

Gilbert Liddle was named president and general manager of CKCR, succeeding the late Clyde Mitchell. Liddle became a partner in Kitchener-Waterloo Broadcasting Co., founded by Mitchell in 1939, and had been commercial manager since that time. Jim Mitchell, 21-year old son of the founder, was appointed commercial manager.

Some of the people that got their start in radio at CKCR: Alan Savage, Byng Whitteker, Jim Hunter, "Doc" Lindsey, Bob Reinhart and Phil Clayton.

1952
Slogans: Increase your sales! Invest in Ontario's richest market. Buy on CKCR & CKCR-FM. / We're too busy making profits for our advertisers to blow our own horns. / Continuously Keeps Customers Radio-active.

Former program director Ed Manning was now at Gordon V. Thompson Ltd.

1953
Slogan: In Waterloo County most people dial CKCR. In Kitchener + Waterloo it's CKCR.

Gilbert Liddle announced that he had filed an application for a television licence with the Department of Transport. He said he was ready to go ahead with television just as soon as he got the official word.

Bill Moyer was a sportscaster at CKCR.

An application for a television station was filed under the name of Central Ontario Television Ltd. The application was denied. There were concerns over foreign ownership (Famous Players Canadian Corp. would be 50% owner and this company was said to be 65% American owned) and the use of channel 6 which was intended for operation in Toronto. N.S. Robertson, counsel for Central Ontario Television Ltd., made the case for his company at the board meeting. He said the other 50% of the company would be offered for sale to Carl Pollock, general manager of Dominion Electrohome and owner of CFCA-FM, which went off the air a year ago, and Gilbert Liddle, part owner of CKCR radio. The television application was to be heard again later in the year - for the 4th time - along with a competing application from Grand Television Ltd. Central Ontario Television's application was approved this time. Grand River's proposal was denied. 

1954
Gib Liddle, president and general manager of CKCR died in March at age 64. He was also a partner in the newly launched CKCO-TV. Liddle joined the late Clyde Mitchell in the operation of CKCR in 1930 when the station was little more than a year old. His son Jack was now commercial manager of CKCR.

Slogans: Serving 3 of Ontario's richest counties - Waterloo-Wellington-Perth. / Celebrating its 25th birthday in radio broadcasting.

Ownership of CKCR-AM-FM passed to the Mitchell and Liddle families, each owning an equal share.

1955
Ken MacKinnon was program director at CKCR.

1957

A government report showed the ownership of Kitchener-Waterloo Broadcasting Co. Ltd. as follows: Gilbert Liddle estate 49.7%, Mrs. Ruth Liddle 0.29%, J. Liddle 0.01%, Mrs. Ella Mitchell 49.7%, J. C. Mitchell 0.3%. CKCR was operating on 1490 kHz with a power of 250 watts and was affiliated with the CBC Dominion network.

Jim Mitchell was president of K-W Broadcasting Co. Ltd. and CKCR's manager. Jack Liddle was commercial manager. John Hodges was program director. Dick Austin was news director.

As radio changed in the 50's, CKCR changed with it. Live, local programming gave way to recorded hit music. Stand-up announcers became sit-down disc jockeys. Studios built to accommodate choirs and bands became empty caverns. Forgotten pianos quietly decayed in a corner.

At the same time, CKCR didn't forget the community's Germanic working class roots. Good Fridays and Easter Sundays were marked with continuous, funereal music, with no commercials. Local sensibilities were carefully observed: under no circumstances could the title "Beer Barrel Polka" be uttered on the air.

Fred Roy could be heard on CKCR.

1958
Kenneth W. MacKinnon, 37, manager of CKCR Radio, died July 13.

1960
Gary Megaffin (6-9 a.m.) joined from CFOS Owen Sound in March. Frank Smith and Paul Freeman did news. Also on staff at this time: Don Derry, Scott Cameron, Gord Shaw, Bill Moody...

Print Ad: CKCR Radio 1490. First and foremost in Waterloo County.

Ownership changes were approved affecting CKCR Radio and CKCO-TV. The changes involved the sale of interests by two elderly windows - Mrs. Clyde Mitchell and Mrs. G. Liddle. They owned Kitchener-Waterloo Broadcasting Co. (CKCR) and that company held 25% of CKCO-TV. Famous Players Canadian held 50% and Carl Pollock (president), held 50% of CKCO-TV. Pollock would acquire the 25% held by the widows. This would create a 50% ownership between Pollock and by Famous Players for CKCO-TV. The BBG approved the sale of CKCR to J. Irving Zucker of Hamilton who was licenced last year to operate new station CHIQ.

1962
The CBC consolidated the Dominion and Trans-Canada networks into a single service. CKCR was a Dominion station and would remain a CBC affiliate.

D.W.G. Martz left CKCR for CFCF in Montreal.

1963
Power was now 10,000 watts day and 5,000 watts night, using four 169 foot towers (different day and night patterns) at Registered Plan #48758, Lot 154, near Kitchener. 

Gary Megaffin (6-9 a.m.) left.
 
1965
J. Irving Zucker was President of Kitchener-Waterloo Broadcasting Co. Ltd. Jack Schoone was General Manager of CKCR. These two would eventually go on to own a string of radio stations across Eastern Canada (after selling CKCR). I. Byers was program director. Don Cameron was news director.

Kitchener-Waterloo Broadcasting Co. Ltd. received approval to sell CKCR-AM and FM to Great Lakes Broadcasting Ltd. D. G. Hildebrand was president of Great Lakes and would be general manager of the Kitchener stations. He owned CFCO Chatham and CFOR in Orillia.

On February 25, CKCR-AM and FM became CHYM-AM and FM ("chime"). In commenting on the change, Don Hildebrand said, unfortunately CKCR was a "tired, worn-out prostitute" that had to be scrapped.

The Kitchener Waterloo Record did a special section about the new 1490 CHYM. The headline on the cover page: The New Vital Sound of Kitchener-Waterloo...CHYM...to keep you entertained and informed - 1490 on your radio dial. A slogan promoting the on-air staff: Lively People Make CHYM The Liveliest Sound Around. Programming: Sandy Hoyt (6-10), Gene Scott (10-2), Trans Canada Matinee (2-2:30), Larry Shannon (2:30-7), Vic Thomas (7-9), CBC programming from 9 p.m. to midnight. On Sundays, it was CHYM Weekend, CBC programs, church services and the German Hour. Denis Woolings was news director. News and sports slogan: News on the hour and half hour...bulletins when they happen...16 sports capsules daily. Another slogan promoting the station: Listen to CHYM-1490...You'll Hear Dozens of Sound Reasons to Keep Listening!

Great Lakes Broadcasting Ltd. (CFCO and CFOR) and Kitchener-Waterloo Broadcasting Ltd. (CHYM-AM-FM) merged to form Great Lakes Broadcasting System Ltd.

CHYM was given permission to change its antenna radiation pattern. Power would remain the same.

A partnership was formed to purchase Great Lakes Broadcasting System Ltd. Maclean- Hunter Publishing Co. Ltd. would hold 50%. Don Hildebrand (25%) and Clair L. Chambers (25%) were the other partners. Great Lakes owned CHYM-AM-FM Kitchener, CFCO Chatham and CFOR Orillia. Maclean-Hunter was in the process of purchasing CKEY-AM in Toronto. It would be held directly by the publishing giant and would not come under the Great Lakes umbrella.

1966
On October 5th, CHYM was given permission to drop its affiliation with the CBC, despite a protest from the latter.

In November, approval was given to move the studio location for CHYM from 125 King Street West to the 12th floor of the Canada Trust Building, 305 King Street West at (at Water Street).

1967
The move to the Canada Trust building took place January 31.

1968
Norman H. Haines was appointed national and retail sales manager. He had been retail sales manager at Montreal's CFOX. Donald G. Hildebrand was president and general manager.

Greatlakes Broadcasting would come under complete control of Maclean-Hunter Ltd. pending CRTC approval. Maclean-Hunter, in collaboration with Countryside Holdings, a few months ago, each purchased 50% of CFOR from Greatlakes and set up a new company - Orillia Broadcasting, subject to federal approval. The latest purchase involved 50% of the common shares of Greatlakes previously held by D.G. Hildebrand, president, and Clair L. Chambers. Donald F. Hunter, head of Maclean-Hunter would also be president of Greatlakes. If approved, M-H would be sole owner of CHYM-AM-FM, CFCO and part owner of CFOR. M-H also owned CKEY and CFCN-AM-TV.

1968-69
Greatlakes Broadcasting System Ltd. president Donald G. Campbell named John E. Larke, general manager of 1490 CHYM. He had been general manager of CFCO. Norman H. Haines, previously general sales manager of CHYM, was named general manager of CFCO.

1969
On September 19, permission was granted for the transfer of 50 common shares of
Greatlakes Broadcasting System Ltd. (CFCO, CHYM, CHYM-FM) to Maclean-Hunter Ltd. and 1 common qualifying share to each L. R. Clark and W. G. Bailey.

Mac Lindsay was appointed sales manager. He had been with the station for the past four years as promotions manager. Cindy Pearson was named promotions manager. She had held a lower position in that department. Murray Porteous was named chief engineer. He'd been with the station for the past two years.

Slogan: 1490 CHYM - Where it is - when it is...

1972
CHYM-FM changed its name to CKGL-FM.

Molly Zakrzewski was at CHYM.

1976
CHYM had been searching for a new frequency for a long time. They had approached CFOS in Owen Sound about using 560 kHz and then finding another channel for that station to use. In the end, they came up with a plan that would allow CHYM to move from 1490 kHz to 570 kHz and allow CFOS to remain at 560 kHz, but increase daytime power to help fend off interference from CHYM on 570. It would also enable CFOS to open a rebroadcast station at Port Elgin, using CHYM's old 1490 frequency. CFOS would have to add two towers to the existing array and acquired six acres of land for the Port Elgin station. The latest state of the art equipment would be provided to CFOS at CHYM's expense. CHYM acquired 100 acres for a new transmitter site. Five towers would be used at the new location.

Paul Ferminger was CHYM's chief engineer at this time. He had been with the station for three years after spending ten years at CHIC in Brampton and three years at CFGM, Richmond Hill.

On May 14, CHYM was authorized to move from 1490 kHz to 570 kHz and change power from 10,000 watts day and 5,000 watts night, to 5,000 watts day and 10,000 watts night.

The re-organization of the Maclean-Hunter group of companies (16 cable systems and the CFCN/Shoreacres/Great Lakes broadcasting group) was approved by the CRTC. Reservations were expressed regarding the nearly 10% equity of the Toronto-Dominion Bank in the new company, Maclean-Hunter Holdings Ltd. The shares had been held by Hunco and D. F. Hunter. Effective control of Maclean-Hunter Ltd. was now held by the directors and senior management.

1977
Paul Godfrey joined from CFTR Toronto. John Crawford (news) joined in January from CKWS Kingston.

1978
On May 16, CHYM received permission to increase daytime power to 10,000 watts. Night power was already 10,000 watts.

June 21 was the day of "The Great 570 CHYM Turn-On". That's when CHYM made the official move from 1490 kHz to 570 kHz. The station was now operating from its new transmitter site at Glen Morris, using five towers with power of 5,000 watts day and 10,000 watts night. The event was marked by a luncheon celebration attended by close to 1,000 guests at Bingeman Park Lodge. It was the culmination of years of work by Greatlakes Broadcasting to locate a new frequency for the station.

Chief engineer Paul Ferminger reported that numerous innovative engineering features were incorporated to maintain the stablity of CHYM's DA-1 directional array. To cope with brown-outs being forecast for the 1980's by Ontario Hydro, the station installed a 1,000 gallon fuel tank, capable of operating the transmitter for up to ten days.

Bob Van Dyke (PM drive) joined from CHAM Hamilton.

1979
CHYM increased power to 10,000 watts full-time (single directional pattern), using the same towers and site.

On-the-air: Paul Godfrey (mornings), John Crawford (news), Mark Nicholls, Bob Van Dyke (afternoons).

1980
A third control room was built for CHYM and CKGL-FM.

John Crawford (news) left in January for CJBK London.

1981
Paul Godfrey left for CHOK Sarnia.

1982
John Larke, vice-president and general manager of CHYM and CKGL-FM passed away December 16. He was 54 and had been in broadcasting over 25 years. Over the years, he had worked with CFJB Brampton, CFTR Toronto and CFCO Chatham. John was actively involved in the community as a director of Octoberfest, and had a keen interest in broadcast education. 

Jim Webb was promoted to general manager for CHYM/CKGL-FM and Bill Leeson became sales manager.

1982-83
Great Lakes Broadcasting System Ltd. merged into Key Radio Ltd. (CKEY Toronto, CKOY Ottawa), with Key becoming the licence holder. Both companies were wholly owned subsidiaries of Maclean Hunter.

1983
CHYM was forced off the air for about an hour on January 12 when fire hit the ten storey office building that housed the station. The fire was in the building's electrical distribution room which was on the same floor as CHYM and CKGL-FM. CKGL continued to operate on automation with stand-by power. CHYM personnel were forced out of the building by smoke.

1984
Former CHYM news director Kirk Dickson joined the editorial staff at Broadcast News.

George Michaels (mornings), Ken Welch (sports), Bob Van Dyke (PM drive).

1986
Bob Thompson, Bob Van Dyke (afternoons) left for CKEY Toronto.

Kirk Dickson left CHYM news (news director) for Broadcast News.

1986-87

Key Radio Ltd. named James Webb as vice president and general manager of CHYM and CKGL-FM.

1987
On-air: Vern Rombeau (mid-days), Ray Luka, Bob Thompson, Tom Gentry, Neil Beaumont.

1988
CHYM news director Don Grose moved in to the station's retail sales department. Geri Smith left CHYM news for Broadcast News.

1989
Terry McDougall moved from CHYM/CKGL engineering to Key Radio corporate engineering.

Malcolm Sinclair (evening) joined in March from CKSL London and left in December for CKEY Toronto.

1990
Dave Brown was appointed engineering manager for CKGL and CHYM.

1992
On September 4 at 8:00 a.m., CKGL and CHYM-AM swapped dial positions. CHYM and its adult contemporary format moved to 96.7 MHz and CKGL with its country format, moved to 570 kHz. Key Radio felt both stations would increase market share by making the switch. It was felt country would work better on AM while AC would do best on FM. It was hoped these changes would also reverse the trend of out-of-market listening which at the time was 60%

1993
CHYM and CKGL held the grand opening for their new studios and offices on May 17. The facilities, still located at 305 King Street West, underwent a total makeover and upgrade. Key Radio says they're among the most technically advanced facilities in North America.

This month, CKGL also switched to a satellite service for overnight programming, resulting in the loss of two jobs.

Wolfgang Von Raesfeld became general manager for CHYM and CKGL. Valerie Corcoran was named promotion/marketing manager.

1994
On December 19, the CRTC approved the purchase of Maclean Hunter Ltd. by Rogers Communications Inc. CHYM and CKGL became a division of Rogers Broadcasting Ltd.

1997
Despite CKGL's loyal Country Music following, Rogers yielded to the trend towards AM Talk Radio. On June 19, 1997 at 6 a.m., CKGL became NewsTalk 570, blending local and syndicated talk programming. A new morning show was launched, featuring Jeff Hutcheson, later the Sports/Weather anchor on CTV's Canada AM. CKGL simulcast Toronto sister station CFTR (680 News) during the overnight hours.

News director Gary Doyle was back to being sports director and doing junior hockey play-by-play with Don Cameron. Mat Divorski became CKGL's news director. He had been with CHML in Hamilton. Bill Dixon joined CKGL news from CJOJ-FM in Belleville. George Gordon became program director on April 14. He had been news director at London's CKSL. On May 12, Neil Atchison joined CKGL's on-air team. For the past 15 years, he had been sales manager at CKKW. Wolf von Raesfeld was general manager of CKGL/CHYM-FM. Glen Pelletier joined CKGL sports. He had been music director and afternoon announcer at CHYM-FM for 12 years.

1998
Dave Sturgeon (AM Drive) joined in September, replacing Jeff Hutchinson who left for CTV's Canada AM.

1999
On-Air: 5:30 Dave Sturgeon, 9:00 Wayne McLean, 12:00 Dr. Laura Schlessinger, 3:00 Neal Hutchinson. Overnights: Dr. Joy Browne, Art Bell, Rhona at Night, play-by-play (Leafs, Blue Jays, OHL Kitchener Rangers). News: Derrick Oliver, Charlene Close, Joe Pavia, Gina Lorentz, Ken Vanlith, Carl Hanske, Nicole Phillipson, Mark Moretti, Rebecca Forrester. Traffic: Susan Cook-Scheerer, Bridget Daniels. Sports: Gary Doyle (also Rangers broadcasts) Don Cameron (Rangers), Rusty Thompson. Notes: At some point in the spring, Neal Hutchinson was replaced by Derrick Oliver. In November, Glen Pelletier joined the sports crew.

2000
One of CHYM’s former owners – Clair Chambers – passed away July 11, one day after his 89th birthday.

Either late 1999 or early 2000, Derrick Oliver was replaced by Charlene Close & Gary Doyle. Wayne McLean left for CFPL-AM in London and was replaced by Ken Vanlith.

2001
On Air: Dave Sturgeon (6:00), Ken Vanlith (9:00), Business at Noon (12:00), Rutherford (1:00), Glenn & Gary (3:00), Prime Time Sports (6:00), ESPN Sports (7:00), Rhona At Night (11:00), Art Bell (2:00), Canada's Business Report (5:00).

2002
On December 22, J. Irving Zucker passed away at age 82. He was a former owner of the station.

2003
“News Talk 570” became “570 News”.

2008
Late in 2007, Rogers Broadcasting received permission to acquire CIKZ-FM (Kix 106.7 FM). As a result, on January 31, CIKZ-FM joined CKGL and CHYM-FM at 305 King Street West.
 
Early on the morning of December 2nd, Ted Rogers, founder and former Chief Executive of Rogers Communications, owners of CKGL-AM, died at his home in Toronto, after having suffered from congestive heart failure for some time.

2009
Due to budget cuts in August at Rogers Kitchener, Ron Funnell's sales manager position was eliminated.

2010
Don Kollins, who had been Operations Manager/Program Director at 570 News and PD at KIX 106 (both Kitchener), moved to sister station Fan 590 Toronto as PD. Wendy Duff, the PD at CHYM-FM Kitchener, succeeded Kollins as PD at KIX. Pete Travers returned to Kitchener as PD at 570 News. He had been a PD at CHUM Kitchener for 23 years before moving in the summer of 2008 to Astral's The Bear Ottawa. Thirteen months later, his job at Astral ended.

Chuck McCoy became VP/Cluster Manager for Toronto/Kitchener Radio and Julie Adam was now VP Programming & National Program Director for the Rogers Radio Division. As well, she would retain duties as Program Director at either CHFI or KISS 92 Toronto, depending on the results of a PD search. Most recently, McCoy was the Rogers' National Program Director. Adam was GM/PD of CHFI and added Assistant National Program Director duties in 2008. The changes were announced by Paul Ski, chief executive officer, Rogers Radio.

570 News announced that Mike Farwell would be the new colour man for Kitchener Rangers hockey. Mike would join veteran Don Cameron, now in his 44th season of play-by-play for the Rangers Hockey Club.

Pete Travers was Program Director at 570 News.

On November 30, the CRTC renewed CKGL's licence to August 31, 2017.

2011
Ron Combden, regional engineering manager for Rogers Broadcasting in the Toronto/ Kitchener markets, was no longer with the company. Mike Collins was general manager of Rogers Radio Kitchener. Most of his career had been at CHYM 96.7/570 News as sales manager, promotions manager, and since 2005, as GM.

2013
Ronald W. Osborne died at age 66, in Florida. His broadcasting background included the presidency of Maclean Hunter Ltd. In 1994, he fought off a hostile takeover bid from Rogers Communications. After a protracted battle, a deal was inked for $3.1-billion.

Norm (Harold) Haines died at age 73. He started his broadcast career as an announcer at CFTJ Galt in 1958 and worked at CKCR Kitchener, CFCO Chatham, CKWS-Radio-TV Kingston and CFOX Montreal. Haines moved to Calgary where he was president of Voice of the Prairies Ltd. (CFCN Radio). He took on CFCN in 1973, and in time, developed CJAY-FM, Canada's first new generation FM station.

Rogers Radio Kitchener General Manager/General Sales Manager Mike Collins, added GM duties for London's 1023 BOB FM.

2014
Mike Collins, General Manager for Rogers Radio Kitchener, added CHST London to his responsibilities.

                                            Bill Dulmage - Updated March 2014