Saskatchewan

CKBL-FM (Hot 92 - The Bull), Saskatoon

, Saskatoon Media Group

1922
The owners of the Electric Shop - D.F. Streb & A.A. Murphy (known as "Pappy") - bought up some old crystal sets and receiving apparatus with the idea of starting a radio station. Murphy went to Calgary to see W.W. Grant of CFCN, who had learned the fundamentals of radio in the army. A deal was made that would see Grant build and install a 50 watt transmitter. CFQC's first transmitter house was a small frame building and there were two 60 foot telephone poles strung with rows of copper wire as the aerial towers.

1923
CFQC went on the air July 18. All programs originated at the transmitter building in the early going. The station had a one-man staff, 50 watts of power and was on the air only a few hours a day. CFQC operated at 400 meters on the radio.

1924
Engineer Carl O'Brien joined CFQC.

1925
Power increased from 50 to 250 watts. (Some say power increased to 500 watts at this time). The frequency was changed to 910 kHz.

1927
The transmitter moved to the exhibition grounds and power increased from 250 to 500 watts.

1928
Studios moved to 216 First Avenue North.

1929
CFQC purchased CJHS (sharing time with CFQC on 910 kHz) and would take it off the air a year later.

1930
CFQC had long since been airing commercials. The station signed its first ad contract with Tucker & Bate. Other early local advertisers were Economy Stores and Quaker Oats. The first national sponsors were Eveready Batteries, Neilson's Chocolates, Imperial Tobacco and Imperial Oil.

1930-31
Lloyd (Lynn) Hoskins joined CFQC as a "Jack of all trades" - first selling radio - then as an announcer. 1,2,3,4

1932
In February, A.A. Murphy bought out his partner David Streb.

1933
CFQC moved from 910 to 840 kHz.

1934
Power increased from 500 to 1,000 watts. A new transmitter was installed with the tower climbing another 75 feet skyward.

In October, the broadcast schedule was expanded to 75 hours a week.

1935
CFQC was now offering programs from fairly early in the morning to late at night.

Vern Dallin joined CFQC as announcer and control operator.

1937
Jack Wells got his start as a sports announcer at CFQC.

1938
CFQC installed a Gates 20-B console mixer, RCA turntables and Marconi audio peak compressor.

The station began subscribing to British United Press.

1938-39
Cy Cairns, CFQC pianist and announcer, was appointed program director. Vic Rowe joined the announcing and newscasting staff.

1939
CFQC was hoping to move to 600 kHz around February 15. The station had suffered interference on 840 kHz from a Mexican station.

Robert E.M. Anderson left CFQC as commercial manager for CBO Ottawa. George A. Jordan and Murray Dyck moved from the engineering department to sales. Jack Wells was an announcer and commentator. Gus Carrier (from CKBI Prince Albert) and Doug Craig (from Vancouver) joined the announce and news staff of CFQC.

1941
In January, new studios and offices were officially opened at the existing location. That opening was carried by the CBC network. Glass-brick columns and other modern trimmings were part of the new facility. The main studio had a seating capacity of 200 persons.

CFQC switched from 840 to 600 kHz. Power remained 1,000 watts. A new antenna was also built for the station.

The CFQC News Service was established with Godfrey Hudson as news editor. (Hudson took over the news department in April).

Under the Havana Treaty, CFQC was one of the few stations allowed to hold on to its frequency. On March 29, hundreds of stations across North America had to change their dial position. CFQC remained on 600 kHz (Class III-A) with 1,000 watts.

1944
Power increased to 5,000 watts full-time, using two 305 foot (overall) towers.

CFQC became the Saskatoon affiliate of the CBC Dominion Network. The station was on the air from 6:45 a.m. to midnight and 7:50 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. on Sundays.

Stanley Clifton, chief engineer at CFQC since its inception, died June 29.

1945
CBC Dominion Basic Stations: CJFX, CHNS, CFCY, CKCW, CKNB, CJLS, CKCO, CHOV, CFBR, CJBC, CHEX, CFPL, CFCO, CFPA, CHLT, CFCF, CKRC, CJGX, CKX, CKRM, CHAB, CFQC, CKBI, CFCN, CFRN, CJRL, CHWK, CJOR, CJVI.

Ed McRea left CFQC as an announcer to work for CKRC Winnipeg. Vern Dallin, now CFQC's commercial manager, marked ten years in broadcasting. A.A. Murphy was manager. Blair Nelson joined CFQC as sales manager.

1946
Godfrey Hudson's title changed from news editor to news director. Sports was now part of the news department as well. The CFQC newsroom was now known as the "CFQC News Service".

1947
CFQC completed installation of a new 5,000 watt Marconi transmitter in a new building on Eleventh Street, just west of the city.

CFQC was granted a 250 watt FM licence.

1948
Roy Currie joined CFQC as an announcer.

1949
CFQC was authorized to operate an emergency transmitter.

1951
Godfrey Hudson was news director. He has held the title at CFQC since April of 1941. Other members of the news team: Bob Elliott (morning co-ordinator and senior editor-reporter), Bill Cameron (afternoon co-ordinator), Arnold Stilling (senior sports editor-reporter), Connie Helme (women's editor-reporter), Ron MacDonald (intermediate editor-reporter) and Derwood Castle (junior editor). Operators included: Lynn Hoskins, Wilf Gilbey and Carl O'Brien. Harry Dekker hosted Waxworks on CFQC - early mornings and late evenings. Bill Arnold hosted "Bill's Mill" between 11:20 a.m. and noon. News service director Godfrey Hudson, hosted "views, News and Interviews".

Slogans: The radio hub of Saskatchewan. / CFQC in Saskatoon - a 5000 watt wheel touching every phase of life in Saskatchewan! / CFQC is the bright spot on my radio dial!

1952
Harry G. Dekker moved to the post of program director and production manager, formerly held by Bill Arnold who left for Buffalo, N.Y. Dekker had been with CFQC since 1940, except for war service. He was most recently chief announcer. He hosted the morning show - The Double Dekker Breakfast Club - which he and his wife produced.

1953
The Saskatoon Star-Phoenix Ltd. applied for a television licence. The application was deferred by the CBC Board of Governors. The board wanted to allow additional applications from the city to be reviewed, applications which were almost complete. This included one from A.A. Murphy, owner of CFQC-AM. Later in the year the CBC approved Murphy's application. By that time there had also been a competing application by the owners of CKOM radio.

Hume Lethbridge resigned as manager of CJNB North Battleford. CFQC production manager Harry Dekker would take over the CJNB post, effective November 1. Dekker would be replaced at CFQC by chief announcer Roy Currie. Eileen Hodgson was appointed promotion director. Marg Morrison was a commentator. Harvey Tate was news editor. Ed Whelan was assistant news director and also did sports. Bill Cameron was in the news department. Reporter-editors: Arlene McPherson, Les Edwards, Jo Campbell and Ean Bickle.

Slogans: The winning station in Saskatoon. / Continues to serve Saskatchewan. Fast & accurate news service. Quality advertising. Consistently good programs.

1954
CFQC Television signed on the air. Maggie Morrison was promotion manager (added the same title for TV). Wilf Gilbey was a staff announcer (he added film editor duties at CFQC-TV). CFQC-AM manager Vern Dallin added assistant manager duties for CFQC-TV. Lyn Hoskins was chief engineer. Godfrey Hudson was news editor and added that title at TV.

Slogans: It's cold outside! But it's hot around the 600 spot! Discriminating dials are tuned to CFQC for the tops in winter listening. / The Voice of authority - Canada's No. 1 news station.

1955
"Here Comes Alma" was a women's program airing on the station. With the introduction of television - CFQC's news staff grew from 3 to 14. Later in the year, Godfrey Hudson resigned as news director, a post he had held for 14 years. Joe Shannon was emcee of Top of the Morning.

Ad Slogans: Nearly 1/2 of Saskatchewan listens to CFQC daily! / Take to the AIR! If your goal is greater sales in the Saskatchewan market. Our Field - nearly half of Saskatchewan listens to CFQC daily...Our strategy - served with 5,000 watts from the 600 spot...Our Team - good listening and lots of selling power!

1957
CFQC 600 operated with a power of 5,000 watts full-time (directional at night) and was a CBC Dominion affiliate. Ownership of A.A. Murphy & Sons Ltd.: A. A.Murphy 50.3%, Estella M. Murphy 0.2%, W. A. Murphy 12.5%, Mrs. M. C. Dallin 9.0%, Mrs. M. I. Nelson 9.0%, H. O. Murphy 12.5%, Vernon Dallin 3.3%, Gordon B. Nelson 3.2%. A. A. Murphy was president of the company. Vern Dallin was CFQC's manager. G. Blair Nelson was assistant manager. Roy Currie was program and production manager. Bill Cameron was news director.

CFQC began broadcasting 24 hours a day and in October, a news mobile truck was added to the station's fleet of vehicles.

1958
Ad slogans: Route 600 takes your product into more homes in Saskatchewan's biggest trading area than any other medium. Sell more. Buy CFQC Radio. / CFQC's new musical package hits the spot...an audience with buying power! Wrap up bigger sales...Sell this audience with the BIG station - CFQC. / CFQC goes "Round the Clock" to sell Saskatchewan's largest trading area for you. Buy CFQC NOW! / CFQC - It's the best in the west. / Radio Hub of Saskatchewan Spinning for 35 years.

CFQC's Vern Dallin announced his resignation as head of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters only a month after getting the post. He felt he could not give the association the attention it needed. Dick Sienko left CFQC where he did sales and promotions. He took a similar job at CJOB Winnipeg. He was replaced at CFQC by Effie Nicholas. Stew Blancher hosted the 4.30 Club, an afternoon children's show.

CFQC turned 35 on July 18. CFQC had 5,000 watts of owner, 50 staff members and was on the air 24 hours a day. In 1923, the station had a one-man staff, 50 watts of power and was only on the air a few hours a day. Some of the staff over the years: Nan Marshall was office manager. Engineer Carl O'Brien joined in 1924, and was chief transmitter engineer for many years. Lyn Hoskins joined in 1931 as transmitter operator and was now chief engineer. Jack Wells got his start as a sports announcer at CFQC in 1937. He was now in Winnipeg radio. 1941 saw the establishment of the CFQC News Service with Godfrey Hudson as news editor. He's now with Broadcast News. Others heard on CFQC over the years...George Dawes (now at CKRC Winnipeg), Wilf Gilbey (new with CKSW Swift Current), Jack Cennon (now production manager at CKBI Prince Albert), Curly Dyck (now manager of CHED Edmonton), and Harry Dekker (now manager at CJNB North Battleford). Vern Dallin joined in 1935 as announcer and control operator. He also did some sales and became commercial manager in 1945 and station manager when CFQC-TV came along, and was made assistant manager of TV as well. Blair Nelson joined CFQC in 1945 as sales manager. When CFQC-TV opened, he became TV manager and assistant manager for radio. In 1958, CFQC had a news staff of 12.

1959
A.A. "Pappy" Murphy died. Murphy, along with CFRN's Dick Rice and CFCN's Gordon Love, helped Harry Sedgewick (CFRB) form the Canadian Association of Broadcasters in the early 1940's.

1959-60
Effie Nicholas retired as promotion director of CFQC. She was succeeded by Dennis Fisher, assisted by Betty Messenger.

1960
Ads: A HEAD every time - when you sell your product on Northern Saskatchewan's biggest voice - CFQC RADIO - selling your product 24 hours daily. / 122,000 square mils of coverage (night pattern) - CFQC. / Spring is sprung. The grass is riz. QC is where the listener is. / 37 successful years of serving and selling Saskatchewan from the "600" spot. CFQC - The radio hub of Saskatchewan. / CFQC gets the results you want in the Prairies.

Roy H. Currie was appointed station manager. He had been with the station since 1948, starting out as announcer, becoming chief announcer, production manager and then station manager.

Ads: A HEAD every time - when you sell your product on Northern Saskatchewan's biggest voice - CFQC RADIO - selling your product 24 hours daily. / 122,000 square mils of coverage (night pattern) - CFQC. / 37 years - and still flying high. CFQC - The Radio Hub of Saskatchewan.

A Christmas print ad listed the staff of CFQC-AM: Frank Abrook, Clyde Bourassa, Stud Blancher, Bob Bradburn, Thelma Buxton, Daryl Burlingham, Roy Currie, Mae Cornish, Bill Cameron, Joe Campbell, Eleanor Cailes, Vern Dallin, Howard Dallin, Russel Down, Les Edwards, Ida Ellingson, Dennis Fisher, Peter Hicks, Bill Hicks, Art Henderson, Ken Huston, Lynn Hoskins, Terry Higgins, Bud Haffstein, Joan Henning, Lee Huggins, Lorne Jamieson, Edna Kinlock, Barbara Korol, Laurie Korchin, Mabel Lewis, Miriam Longstaff, Tom Loran, Nan Marshall, Margaret Morrison, Martha Mills, Willy Mauchel, Bill Murphy, Myrtle Madder, Tom Miller, Gerry McIntosh, Don MacDougall, Carl O'Brien, Al Peters, Maxine Peterson, Bob Roberts, Cy Rouse, Bernice Sielski, Wes Stoltz, Mavis Trask, Toby Trowbridge, Jan Vandertuuk, Warren Wismer, Don Whittman, Edith Warriner.

1962
The Dominion and Trans-Canada networks consolidated into a single CBC Radio network. Following the consolidation, CFQC ended its affiliation with the network.

1965
W. A. Murphy was president of the company. Vern Dallin was general manager. Roy Currie was station manager. Denny Carr was morning man.

1968
Garnet Behnke was named chief accountant. Herb Ashley was named production manager for TV. Alec Bridge was appointed promotion director. Behnke had worked outside the business. Ashley was production manager at CFQC-TV. Bridge had been with the Montreal Star.

Lloyd Saunders had been doing CFQC-AM-TV sports for the past 12 years.

Les Edwards was news director. Dennis J. Fisher was appointed station manager. Wally Stambuck succeeded Fisher as production manager.

1969
Wal 'n' Den hosted CFQC's morning show from 6 a.m. to noon.

CFQC subscribed to the Standard Broadcast News service. SBN received direct feeds from NBC New York by broadband.

1972
Russwood Broadcasting Ltd., a subsidiary of Baton Broadcasting Inc. purchased CFQC AM-TV.

1978
On June 15, CFQC 600 received approval to increase full-time power from 5,000 to 10,000 watts. Three 305 foot towers would be used.

1981
CFQC's application for a new FM station (100,000 watts on 95.1 MHz) was denied. Competing applications by CKOM and Gerald Fraser were also denied.

1984
Russwood Broadcasting became the corporate name for Baton's radio stations.

G. Blair Nelson, president of Russwood Broadcasting (CKLW and CFQC) was named a director of parent company Baton Broadcasting.

In the spring, CFQC began broadcasting in stereo.

1986-87
Baton Broadcasting appointed Dennis Fisher, president of CFQC Radio.

1988
Jim Mattern was news director at CFQC/CFQC-TV.

1991
Baton Broadcasting sold its last radio station. On August 30, Baton subsidiary Russwood Broadcasting Ltd. sold CFQC-AM to QC Radio Limited Partnership. The new owner was 51% controlled by Galco Broadcasting Corp., the general partner. It was controlled by George Gallager and his family. The transaction would be realized in two phases: Yorkton Broadcasting Company Ltd. would first acquire CFQC from Russwood and then sell them to QC Radio. The new owner promised a mobile unit, a full-time reporter to cover agricultural news, and an overnight show designed as a training ground for aspiring announcers. For the record, Baton Broadcasting held on to CFQC Television.

1993
CFQC-AM went into receivership and came under the management of receiver, Price Waterhouse Ltd. Clint Forster, owner of CJWW-AM, applied to the CRTC for approval to purchase CFQC. CFQC moved into the CJWW building and operated from that station's second production studio. Until CRTC approval came, Price-Waterhouse operated CFQC with consulting from CJWW management.

1994
On August 25, Clint Forster was given approval to acquire CFQC from Price Waterhouse, in its capacity as Receiver/Manager of QC Radio Limited Partnership. At the same time, Forster was granted permission to convert his existing station - CJWW - to the FM band.

1995
On February 6, at 6:00 a.m., "Country 600" CJWW replaced CFQC "Hits 600" (Hot Adult Contemporary). CJWW simulcast on its old 750 kHz frequency until 12:00 p.m. At 7:00 a.m., CFQC re-emerged as CFQC-FM "Hot 93 FM Country" at 92.9 MHz. Effective radiated power was 100,000 watts. Hot 93 had actually been on the air since January 30. General manager Vic Dubois said Hot 93 would play ‘90s country while CJWW-AM would continue with its traditional country format. CFQC moved to the CJWW building at 345-4th Avenue South.

1997
Scott Armstrong left CFQC/CJWW, leaving Vic Dubois handling programming as well as managing the stations.

Saskatoon newsman Easten Waymand died at age 59. Over the years he had worked at CFQC-AM-TV, CKOM and CJWW.

1998
CFQC radio held a staff reunion July 31-August 1.

1999
Jack Wells died at 88. Known as 'Cactus Jack,' Wells had been a Winnipeg broadcasting icon since 1941. He'd spent years as part of the Blue Bomber broadcasting team. Wells' career began in 1935 as a hockey announcer with CFQC.

Veteran broadcaster Denny Carr was appointed to the Order of Canada. He co-hosted CFQC's morning show - the Wal & Den Show - with Wally Stanbuck - for 16 years. He then co-hosted with other broadcasters until CFQC was bought by CJWW four years ago. Two weeks after he was named to the Order, Carr passed away at the age of 60.

Elmer Hildebrand
        Elmer Hildebrand
2000

On November 20, Forvest Broadcasting Corp. (Clint Forster) was given approval to sell CJWW-AM and CFQC-FM to Elmer Hildebrand Communications Inc. Hildebrand already owned CJRK-FM and CKOM-FM in Saskatoon. On the same date, approval was granted for the sale of CKOM-FM to Rawlco Inc.

2001
Elmer Hildebrand launched his third Saskatoon station - CJMK-FM. All three stations were now broadcasting from the 12,000 square foot, 2-storey building beside the South Saskatchewan River in downtown Saskatoon (345-4th Ave. S.). Once CJMK was on the air, the three stations had a staff of 60, including part-timers. Vic Dubois, former president of Forvest Broadcasting Corp., was general manager of stations.

Eldon Duchscher, news director of CFQC-FM/CJWW, was named president of the Radio-Television News Directors Association of Canada.

Ken McFarlane became general sales manager for CJWW/Hot 93/Magic 98.3. He had been with Rawlco Radio in Regina.

2007
CJWW, CFQC and CJMK moved to new studios and offices on February 1 - 366 3rd Avenue South.

On November 5, CFQC-FM "Hot 93 FM" became CKBL "92.9 The Bull". The Country music format remained in place.

629112 Saskatchewan Ltd. (division of Hildebrand Communications) became Saskatoon Media Group.

2010
92-9 The Bull welcomed Lisa Willems to the team on March 15. She took over the evening at weekend on-air shifts at the station. Willems had been with Rawlco Radio in North Battleford.

Eldon Duchscher, after 21 years with the Saskatoon Media Group (the last few years as News Director), gave up that position to move to Calgary. His last day was June 30. The News Director position at CJWW Country 600/Magic 98.3/92.9 The Bull was filled by Vanese Ferguson.

Jim Rendall died at the age of 58. The former radio host began his career at CHOW Welland in the early 1970s, moved to CKX Brandon and, in the late ‘70s, to CKOM Saskatoon. Later, he joined CFQC Saskatoon.

2011
Steve "Hurricane" Huber was no longer program director at 92.9 The Bull. He had been with the Saskatoon Media Group since August, 2007. Cristy Beggs was the new assistant program director at 92.9 The BULL. Beggs was also co-host of the station's morning show, Pat & Cristy.

The new Assistant Program Director at 92.9 The BULL was Cristy Beggs. Beggs was also co-host of the station's morning show, Pat & Cristy. Newsroom changes saw reporter / anchor Cody Nickolet leave to join the WHL's Saskatoon Blades as Communications Director. Paul Burke was now full-time in the news department along with Edwin Dewaal who moved to Saskatoon from CKBX 100 Mile House.

Christine Dekker passed away at age 82. She began her broadcast career at CFQC Saskatoon, then married Harry Dekker. Together, they were the station's morning show in the early '50s. They moved to CJNB North Battleford in 1954 and maintained their morning show while Harry became General Manager. CJNB's morning show now had their son, Harry Michael, as host.

Blair Nelson died at age 94. Nelson was a long-time manager of CFQC-TV and a former city councillor. A member of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters Hall of Fame, Nelson had worked at CFQC-TV for several decades, beginning in 1954 (after working in the sales department at CFQC-AM). He served as GM until the TV station was sold in 1986.

2012
Jim McCrory died at the age of 70. The veteran Saskatchewan broadcaster, who lived in Saskatoon, joined CFQC in 1963 as an announcer. In the ‘70s, he crossed the hall to CFQC-TV where, for many years, he was the weather man. McCrory retired in 2001.

Jason Lee, who hosted the PM drive show at CJWW, was now also Music Director. He succeeded mid-day announcer Jay Richards in the MD role since Richards succeeded Jeff Hayes as Saskatoon Media Group Community Relations Director. Also at SMG, Heather Morrison was the new afternoon drive host at MAGIC 98.3 FM. She filled the other half of Jeff Hayes' responsibilities. Hayes moved to sales. Landen Young was now doing afternoon drive at 92.9 The BULL Saskatoon. He was doing evenings on MAGIC 98.3. Andrew Beckler joined 92.9 The BULL for mid-days, moving from The Goat Lloydminster.

Audio - Lloyd Hoskins:
1 Lloyd Hoskins remembers the early music reproduction devices and the intensiveness of the first engineers in radio
2 Lloyd's start in radio, as with many, started with the actual selling of the radios themselves
3 As with many announcers at affiliates, you could end up talking at the same time as the network's announcer
4 Lloyd remembers how the weather in Canada challenged stations to stay on the air


Written by Bill Dulmage - Updated May 2013