Alberta, Southern Alberta
CKCE-FM (Kool 101.5), Calgary, Bell Mrdia
On August 2, CHUM Ltd. was one of four (out of 10) applicants that received authority to operate new FM stations in Calgary. CHUM’s new station would offer a Hot Adult Contemporary format designed to appeal to listeners between 25 and 44 years of age, with a core audience of women between 25 and 34. CHUM had proposed to operate the station on frequency 90.3 MHz with an effective radiated power of 100,000 watts (average of 45,000 watts). 90.3 MHz was licensed to another applicant so CHUM was advised to apply for a new frequency. CHUM had originally applied for 104.5 MHz (ERP of 100,000 watts / average of 45,000 watts) but Nav Canada raised concerns about possible interference with Aeronautical Nav/Com services in the city. Proposed call sign: CICR-FM. The new CHUM station would broadcast from the Rogers/CTV (CFCN-TV) tower.
CKCE began testing (as "Calgary 101.5") on March 12th.
At 1:01 p.m., March 22, CKCE-FM signed on the air ("Today's Best Music...Calgary's New Energy 101.5!"). During the station's test period, listeners were asked to submit suggestions and feedback on what they wanted to hear in the Calgary Radio Market. The final result: a HOT Adult Contemporary station, playing "Today's Best Music" showcasing musical artists like Justin Timberlake, Gwen Stefani, John Mayer, U2 and more! The primary demographic is females 25-44.
Energy 101.5! would be interactive with street-level studios in the city's downtown core, located at 535 7th Avenue S.W.
CKCE-FM was scheduled to publicly launch on April 12th with a VIP party at the station's studios, showcasing it's on air line up (Freeway and Meg in The Morning, Erin Wilde, Zack Hewitt and Tripp West). All personalities were scheduled to hit the air on April 10th.
A CRTC hearing on the CTVglobemedia application to acquire the assets of CHUM Limited was held on April 30. On June 8 the CRTC approved the acquisition of CHUM Ltd. by CTVglobemedia, on condition that CTV sell off its five City-TV stations, CITY-TV Toronto, CHMI-TV Portage La Prairie/Winnipeg, CKEM-TV Edmonton, CKAL-TV Calgary and CKVU-TV Vancouver. Rogers Communications announced on June 25th that a deal had been reached for them to buy these stations from CTV, subject to CRTC approval. Among the CHUM assets acquired by CTVglobemedia in the deal were seven television stations, 21 specialty channels and some 33 radio stations, including CKCE-FM.
On March 15, CTV Inc., CTV Corp., CTV Limited and CTVglobemedia Inc. amalgamated to continue as CTV Inc.
BCE Inc. announced on April 1 that it had completed its acquisition of CTV and that it had launched Bell Media (replacing CTVglobemedia), a new business unit that would make CTV programs and other Bell content available on smartphones and computers as well as traditional television. In addition to CTV and its television stations, Bell Media now also operated 29 specialty channels, 33 radio stations, Dome Productions, a mobile broadcast facilities provider, and dozens of high-traffic news, sports and entertainment websites, including the Sympatico.ca portal.
The CRTC approved a change to the ownership of Bell Media Inc., from BCE Inc. to Bell Canada. This transaction would not affect effective control of Bell Media Inc. and of its licensed broadcasting subsidiaries, which continued to be exercised by BCE Inc. Bell Media Inc. held, directly and through its licensed broadcasting subsidiaries, various radio and television programming undertakings as well as specialty and pay-per-view television services.
On August 22, the CRTC approved the applications by BCE Inc., on behalf of Bell Media Inc. and 7550413 Canada Inc., carrying on business as Bell Media Calgary Radio Partnership, for authority to acquire, as part of a corporate reorganization, CKCE-FM Calgary. Bell Media, the managing partner holding 99.99% of the voting interest in the general partnership, is wholly owned by Bell Canada and controlled by BCE. 7550413, the other partner holding the remaining 0.01% of the voting interest in the general partnership, is wholly owned by Bell Media and is also controlled by BCE. BCE submitted that the purpose of this corporate reorganization was to realize tax efficiencies. The Commission noted that this transaction would not affect the effective control of the undertakings which would continue to be exercised by BCE.