CKXX-FM, 103.9 K-Rock, Corner Brook
Stingray Group Inc.
Western Broadcasting Ltd.
On September 29, two competing applications for a new AM station at Corner Brook were denied. The applicants were Western Broadcasting Ltd. and Douglas E. Alteen (on behalf of a company to be incorporated). This was not the first attempt by someone to get a second AM licence in the city. Colonial Broadcasting System Ltd. (VOCM St. John's) was denied a licence in 1976. The present applications were turned down because neither offered a distinct alternative. The CRTC was convinced however, that the market could support a second station and would call for further applications.
On August 29, Western Broadcasting Ltd. was successful in obtaining a licence for Corner Brook's second AM station. Douglas E. Alteen was again a competing applicant but again had his application denied. Western's new station would broadcast on a frequency of 1340 kHz with a power of 10,000 watts (day) and 2,500 watts (night). It would operate 24 hours a day and offer a Country Music format, with an emphasis on local news and sports. Western said it would hire a staff of four full-time news people; purchase a mobile cruiser and help to develop local talent. Alex J. Walling was president and general manager of Western Broadcasting.
CKWK 1340 began broadcasting on August 6. The station used a Nautel 10,000 watt transmitter. Personnel included Bob Hicks (general sales manager), Wayne MacDonald (news director) and Don Mabee (program director).
On October 22, CKWK was authorized to move its transmitter from Summerside to Crow Head.
On December 13, CKWK was given approval to increase night-time power from 2,500 watts to 10,000 watts.
After some feuding over alleged non-compliance, Corner Brook's two AM stations have settled on new formats, with the blessing of the CRTC. CKWK moved from Country to Middle of the Road, and CFCB moved from Contemporary Middle of the Road to Contemporary (65% rock and 35% country).
Alex J. Walling, president of Western Broadcasting Ltd. (CKWK) became general manager of Swift Current's CJGL-FM (FM94). His family would stay in Corner Brook until the end of the school year. Alex commutes the 4,000 miles regularly between the two stations.
Derek Layte was news director at CKWK.
On November 18, the transfer effective control of Western Broadcasting Limited through the transfer of 12% of the shares held by four minority shareholders to D.Y. Holdings Limited (holder of 41%) was approved. As a result, D.Y. Holdings Limited (75% controlled by Derek W. Young who was also president of Western), would control Western with 53%. The remaining 47% would be held by five individual shareholders.
On February 1, for administrative reasons, the CRTC renewed the licence for CKWK to September 30, 1988. Later in the year, the licence of CKWK was renewed for only two years so the CRTC could assess the station's performance, particularly its local and regional news service, and its adherence to regulations concerning Canadian content and for providing proper logger tapes.
On July 7, CKWK was granted a transmitter at Deer Lake on 95.1 MHz with an effective radiated power of 10 watts.
On August 29, approval came for the sale of 80% of Western Broadcasting Ltd. (CKXX - formerly CKWK Corner Brook and CKXX-1-FM - formerly CJDY-FM Deer Lake) to NewCap Broadcasting Limited. The remaining 20% would continue to be held by D.Y. Holdings Ltd. (Derek Young 71%, Judy Young 19% and the Young Family Trust 10%). Derek Young was one of the founders of the station and would stay on as chairman of Western Broadcasting.
On February 6, CKXX was given approval to move to the FM band from 1340 kHz, AM. The station would broadcast with an effective radiated power of 47,000 watts on a frequency of 103.9 MHz.
On September 18, CKXX was given approval to add a transmitter at Stephenville operating on 95.3 MHz with an effective radiated power of 4 watts; and to cease operation of the transmitter at Deer Lake.
Daryl Stevens was appointed director of programming, Newfoundland West, for Newcap's CKXX. Blair Daggett was general manager.
On December 20, NewCap Inc. was granted permission to purchase the remaining shares of Western Broadcasting Ltd. (CKXX-FM and CKXX-FM-1) not already held.
On July 8, CKXX-FM-1 Stephenville was granted a power increase from 4 to 12 watts, and to relocate the transmitter to a location 14.5 kilometres east of the existing site.
On July 22, CKXX-FM was given approval to decrease effective radiated power from 47,000 to 40,000 watts.
On May 4, CKXX-FM was authorized to change the frequency of CKXX-FM-1 Stephenville from 95.3 to 95.9 MHz, increase ERP from 12 to 234 watts, and to decrease antenna height from 118.2 to 103.4 metres.
On May 28, the CRTC renewed the licence of CKXX until August 31, 2016. The renewal included CKXX-FM-1 Stephenville.
Katherine Hogan was promoted to general sales manager, Western Newfoundland (Corner Brook) for the Steele Communications radio stations. She had been an account executive at CFSX Stephenville.
In November it was announced that CFCB and K-Rock 103.9 would be relocating to the Glynmill Inn, owned by Steele Communications.
On January 22, the CRTC approved an application by CKXX to decrease ERP from 40,000 to 35,600 watts. Antenna height would be raised from 160.1 to 206.5 metres.
On October 23, the CRTC approved an application by Newfoundland Capital Corporation Limited, on behalf of Newcap Inc. and its licensed broadcasting subsidiaries, for authorization to effect a change in the ownership and effective control of various radio and television broadcasting undertakings in British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland and Labrador, so that effective control of the undertakings would be exercised by Eric Boyko (Stingray Digital Group Inc.). Stingray took ownership of the stations just a few days later.