CKUW-FM

CKUW-FM, Campus, Winnipeg

Winnipeg Campus/Community Radio Society Inc.

StationYearFreq.PowerOwner/Info
CKUW-FM
1999
95.0
450
Winnipeg Campus/Community Radio Society Inc.
1968

CKUW began as a closed circuit station broadcasting to Lockhart hall lounges, the Buffeteria and the Bulman Students Centre.

 

1998

CRTC approval for The Winnipeg Campus / Community Radio Society Inc. to launch a new over-the-air FM station on 95.9 MHz with effective radiated power of 450 watts, came on October 5.

 

1999

CKUW began on-air testing on April 27 and officially signed on the air at midnight, April 30.

 

2006

On April 10 the CRTC renewed the licence of CKUW-FM until August 31, 2013. The renewal included the following condition: "The licensee shall retain full control over all decisions concerning the management and programming of this station and ensure that representatives of the student body, faculty, alumni or administration of the university or college with which the station is associated, considered together, form the majority of the board of directors. In addition, the Commission reminds the licensee that, in accordance with the requirements of P.C. 1997-486, Direction to the CRTC (Ineligibility of non-Canadians), amended by P.C. 1998-1268, 15 July 1998, the chair and not less than 80% of the members of the board of directors must be Canadians ordinarily resident in Canada."

CTA Donation

We rely on grants and donations from industry

View our sponsors
CTA Personalities

Learn more about the personalities involved in Canada's broadcasting history.

Learn more