CFYT-AM, Dawson City
Canadian Broadcasting Corp.
C.H. Chapman was granted a licence for an AM station at Dawson City, using a frequency of 1230 kHz with power of 100 watts.
There was an application by the Department of National Defence for an AM station with 100 watts (frequency unknown) at Dawson City.
CFYT still was not on the air in 1950 but in 1952 an application was approved that would see the station change frequency from 1230 to 1400 kHz with power remaining at 100 watts.
The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation took control of CFYT Dawson City and CFWH Whitehorse. The 100 watt community station in Dawson City would continue to be staffed by local residents, some working on a part-time basis. CBC planned to schedule more daily news, and some live programming would be piped in over CN Telegraph lines...now suited for voice only, but expected to be improved to handle music as well. For now, tapes of regular CBC programs would be flown to both communities.
The CBC was now officially in the North with the takeover of CFWH and CFYT. Two 40 watt relay transmitters were to be installed at Watson Lake in the southern Yukon and Fort Nelson in northern B.C. CBC was also taking over stations at Fort Smith on the N.W.T. - Alberta border; Hay River on the south shore of Great Slave Lake; Inuvik, the new Aklavik town site on the Mackenzie River Delta; and Goose Bay, Labrador. Within a year, the CBC hoped to link Fort Nelson, Watson Lake, Whitehorse and possibly Dawson City to the Trans-Canada network. The stations would get about 50 hours a week of program tapes delivered by plane for rebroadcast about a week after the original airing. Special daily newscasts would be sent by wireless to stations not connected by landline to the network. CBC was also planning a shortwave transmitter at Vancouver.
The CBC had plans to set up a regional radio network in the Yukon - an extension of the Trans Canada network...to the Dawson area. The existing network ran north from Edmonton, along the Alaska Highway and stopped at Whitehorse. CN Telegraphs were now building new lines in Yukon. When completed, Dawson would receive live programs for the first time.
CFYT 560 received permission to decrease power to 40 watts, operate with a non-directional antenna from a new site, and operate as a low power relay transmitter (LPRT).